Students these days are applying in tens of colleges after completing their 12th. This is a great way to give different courses and professions a chance, but there is a downside to it: students have to be physically present for every little detail and that might be financially and physically taxing.
Consider this: most entrances, interviews and admission formalities happen during the one-two month gap the students get between the completion of their boards and start of the college academic session. During this time, almost every student applies to at least three or four different colleges at once. There are many issues related to this, for example, one might not be able to book tickets at short notice for all the different cities across the country (sometimes even abroad), or exam dates might clash so that students have to choose instead of being able to avail all options, or it might simply not be viable economically for someone to be able to go to so many places within a short span of time.
This calls for a streamlining of admission processes, where they can be reorganized and simplified for the benefit of students as well as institutes.
How does this work as a startup?
Well, there is a gaping space that between the current processes of admission throughout the country and a potential system where it is all coordinated online through programmes and professional help. Your startup could be the first step towards covering that gap.
For one, this will be very profitable for you, if done right. India has a student population of over 100 crore, which means you have potential 1 billion-big market. A site where the admission processes are coordinated through online processes would be very helpful to students and will save them some time (which they would have otherwise spent travelling to different places for entrances/interviews); time which they can spend to prepare better. This also saves them bus/train/flight fare expenses and physical exertion, so they can remain home and concentrate on studying.
Here are some features you could offer:
- Online mock-tutorials for interviews and vivas.
- Online mock-tests for entrances.
- You can tie-up with various institutions and provide a platform for them to conduct their candidate screening process.
- You can facilitate for video interviews between shortlisted candidates and institution/university representatives so that students do not have to travel all the way to the institution for just one interview.
- You could provide a platform for students to sit for online entrances from your website, without them having to go to the institution.
- The colleges listed on your sites can use it to create a brand for themselves. If a college makes the application and selection process easier for students, they are bound to get more popular and attract more applications. This will create a name of their institution and they will become a brand by themselves, gradually.
- You can provide specialized sections in your site for different processes such as entrances, interviews, student application, organization of applications, screening, etc.
- This will facilitate for a fair and hassle-free, computerized admission process that will ensure efficiency on the institution’s part while guaranteeing a fair admission process for students.
We believe that institutions will be more than willing to pay for your services, because this is an idea that could revolutionize the admission process across the nation. Institutions will be able to facilitate fair and time-efficient admission and at the same time build a reputation and brand for themselves. This will also increase their online presence, which is a marketing opportunity for them.
Students will benefit from this, too, as they will be able to sit for entrances and interviews with increased convenience and focus on the most important part: preparation.
There is a huge need for a site like this and for setting up you could easily find at least one or two institutions (at a bare minimum). Once the idea starts catching up and more people get to know about it, you can scale up from there.