There has been a sharp rise in the “DIY” (Do it Yourself) trend in the past couple of years, and as a result a lot of people are discovering their own penchant for creating beautiful things. These include art pieces, sculptures, figurines, home-made jewellery, candles, soaps, bath salts, and even clothing. These items are hand crafted and therefore not produced in a large scale. People who make these usually make them at home; they don’t have the supplies or equipment to produce in large quantities. Basically, we’re looking at the difference between an industrial, machine-printed t-shirt and a hand painted t-shirt- the difference between production and creation.
As more and more people come in touch with their creative sides, they create more items, and need a platform to share it with people, and cater to interested buyers, if any. This can be a problem since most commercial websites wouldn’t be willing to list products which aren’t produced large scale, for fear of them going out of stock frequently and not being financially viable. Besides, industrial products are much cheaper and guarantee more sales.
This is where your start-up comes in.
There is a need for a site which sells handmade products that are created not by professionals but amateurs, and in small quantities. Here are some things you can include:
- You need to bring through to potential buyers why handmade products are just as good as and even better than large scale, machine-produced products.
- Hand-made products take more labour and are therefore more expensive. You have to market your site likewise and to a targeted audience. Think of something catchy for the campaign, such as, “Twice as much care for ten dollars more.”
- These products are hand-crafted and packaged, and therefore have a more personalized touch to them.
- You can have an amazing variety of products on your site. It can be anything from clothing to beauty products to herbal teas and medicines to toy figurines and collectibles; the possibilities are endless. You can organise them according to categories and list them for your customers to find easily.
- You can have a chat facility between the sellers and the buyers, so that the buyer can understand a little more about the product and get to know its creator as well. Knowing the seller will, in most cases, make the buyer more invested in the activity and he will end up buying something he likes.
- Very often it happens in mainstream products that we have to choose from what is available, and we don’t get prints that are exactly up to our wants or expectations. You can provide the facility to the buyer to customize his products and make it exactly like he wants to. For example, you can give them the option of printing or painting t-shirts with specific slogans for their friend’s birthday, or to customize a fragrance for himself. This will give them more control over what they are buying and make them more interested in what you have to offer.
- Since you are selling products that are naturally a bit more expensive, you will have to give occasional discounts, to attract more buyers and increase your sales.
We believe this is a great startup idea because there is a dire need for a platform selling homemade products. People who create art, craft pieces, sculptures, cosmetics, fragrances, candles and clothing at home are constantly on the lookout for ways to get more buyers, and have to depend on word of mouth or door-to-door promotion methods. These methods are quite rudimentary and limit their reach in a local level. Therefore, selling their products online is just what they need. They will be able to expand their reach across the country and find more customers that will be interested in their products. They will be willing to pay you in commission for every sale they make, therefore you needn’t worry about this startup being financially profitable or not, it will flourish once it establishes a strong foothold in the online shopping arena.